Size, strength, agility, and other adaptations such as large claws, color vision, and an omnivorous diet make the black bear (Ursus americanus) the most successful and widespread bear in North America. However, this adaptability can lead bears into conflict with people as they wander into camps and towns searching for food.
- Where to see them: North America
- Height: 4 to 6.2 ft
- Weight: Male – 130 to 500 lbs, Female – 90 to 330 lbs
- Lifespan: Up to 35 yrs in the wild
- Habitat: Forest and brushland
- Diet: Fruits, shoots, buds, flowers, insects, fish, and small mammals